blue

Thursday, March 6, 2014

the days are so much ...

Okay, I'm a terrible blogger. Someone asked me before I left if I was going to post everyday. I laughed then, but little did I know I'd have trouble posting every week. Or every other week at that. 

Once I sit down to blog, I can't think of what to say. So much has happened. So much has been learned. So many people have been met. So much food has been eaten. So. Much.

There have been ups and downs as I've gotten used to living in Sao Leopoldo. It's been a little over four weeks since I said goodbye to my family and friends. It's been a little over three weeks since I got to Brasil and Sao Leopoldo. It's starting to sink in that this isn't a one week, two week, one month trip. 

This is my life. 

So much has happened.

I have visited three different university campuses. I've gone "camping" with a huge group of new friends. I've gone to five or six different cities around Sao Leopoldo. Some fifteen minutes away, some two and a half hours away. I've walked, rode bus, train, car and now paddle boats. I've gotten on the wrong bus, walked into the wrong building, said the wrong thing in Portuguese. I've waded through mini lagoons when the city has "flooded" from rain. I've shopped. I've been to a birthday party. 

So much has been learned.

My host mom and I have a great system where at the end of the night, when we are settling down, we work on our languages. She asks me questions she has about English. (English is such a random ((and forgive me, sometimes stupid)) language.) I struggle through trying to find an answer to those (How do you describe the difference between "would, could, should, maybe, might"? Ponder on that a bit.) and we discuss that. Then, I tell her the new Portuguese words I learned that day. Some nights I have five to ten words I can tell her. Other times, I'm scrambling to come up with one or two. It's caused me to become more aware of what I'm hearing with the people and to be intentional when remembering them.  I'm loving this system. It's a fun time with my host mom, Fabie. Lots of laughs and lots of head scratching take place during this time. 

Other than the language, I've learned a lot about the culture. After I saw the city "flood," I understood on a better level why we throw our toilet paper in a small trash can rather than flushing it. I've learned a lot about the bus system. You can't just ride and ride and ride. You've got to get off or the bus driver is going to kick you off. (Dumb American Card comes in handy during this adventure.) I've learned a lot about the students. College is not a life style for them like it is for us in the States. They work ten hour days, drive a couple hours to the class at night, then drive a couple hours home. Repeat. I've learned about why they walk with a purpose at all times. I've learned so much about this lifestyle that it's become normal to me. I have to ask "Why do they do it that way?" to gain understanding.

So many people have been met.

I couldn't even begin to list all of the names of the people I've met so far. It's so exciting to be introduced to Brasilians by Brasilians; it has helped with feeling at home here. I am happy that the people I've met want me to meet their friends and their family. I'm building connections and relationships with every introduction. I've spent a lot of time with two girls in particular. 
Luana and Dani. 

Luana has such a sweet nature, and she wants to show her culture off to me and the rest of the group. She wants us to feel at home! (SO grateful for this!) We've laughed at the way us Dumb Americans pronounce different Portuguese words. We've cheered on runners, and we've made dessert together. Luana has filled us in on the parts of culture that you won't learn in a "Brazil for Dummies" book. I met Dani when we went camping. Dani helped Hannah Morrison and I struggle through the camping weekend. She really encourages us to learn Portuguese. We've all laughed at the English word "squirrel" and "stoichiometry." We've walked around campus in the rain, and she's helped us get to the right bus stop. I've had so much fun with Luana and Dani so far!

So much food has been eaten.

Emphasis on the "so much." Oh, the food. I've eaten food that I've loved - let me tell you about this dessert from this family owned Italian restaurant - and food I haven't cared too much for - not a fan of chicken hearts. It seems I can never get full here. Chris and Melody joke because when ever they see the group, we're stuffing our faces and they question if our host homes are feeding us. (They are.) My host home has a lady who cooks lunch every weekday. Isabel. Isabel makes some awesome mashed potatoes and "bolo." Bolo is "cake" in Portuguese and was one of the first words I really learned. Imagine that. Brasilians want you to try their food. You have to pace yourself. There is this one "por kilo" (by weight) restaurant on the UNISINOS campus that has the most amazing rice and beans. There are random times when I will be craving rice and beans. Hannah West finds this extremely funny. Hannah Morrison and I are always like "Where's the dessert? Where's the chocolate?" 
This Brasilian food is great. 

So. Much. 

The Lord has blessed me So. Much. in these last four weeks. No way did I think I would be this comfortable after only three weeks. No way did I think I would have the connections I have now. No way did I think I would have learned so much about the city and culture. No way did I think I would be doing this well. Chris and Melody have talked to us a lot about seeing God throughout our days. It doesn't always have to be the big things. God is in the ordinary things too. God is there when we get on the right bus, when we catch a couple Portuguese words, when we converse with people on campus and in our host homes. 
God's presence throughout the day is such a blessing. 

I'm excited about the so much more to come. I have the rest of March, April, May and June. So much can happen, be learned, be met and be eaten in that time. I am praying God works in a mighty way in and through me! I am praying for my teammates. Thanking God that they're going through this adventure with me and praying that they meet their people. 
Thank You, Lord, for loving on me in Brasil.

Taking in the so much,

Taylor Lea

One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple.
Psalm 27:4

My cup overflows as if it were alive.
Psalm 23:5
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English)





1 comment:

  1. Wow, Taylor ! You have written this so well, I almost feel like I've been there with you! God Bless our Adventure Girl. Love, Granny Dot

    ReplyDelete