blue

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Making the Days Exciting

A couple months before I left for Brasil, the BCM intern asked me what I was most excited about in going to Brasil. Then, I answered, 
“Getting stamps in my passport!”

Ha.

At that point, that’s all my mind could come up with being excited about. As the weeks went on before my departure, I started getting excited about building on the foundation the previous Hands On students, Corey and Erika, laid out for us.

Now, after being here for almost five weeks, 
I’ve found new things to be excited about.

Sure, there are big things I get excited about.

Being able to tell Chris and Melody I made a new friend.
The open doors at UNILINGUAS.
The chance to take Portuguese classes at Achieve.
Christ centered conversations.

But there are so many small things that are exciting.

E-mails from my Padre of fish and snakes and his garden.
The impending care package.
Seeing people’s reactions and convictions from the words I write.
Seeing people share my words.

At our team meeting on March 5th, Chris and Melody made hamburgers. 
I have never been so excited in my life to eat a hamburger.

Waking up in the morning and smelling the bolo Isabel is already baking.
Grilled pineapple with cinnamon.
Rice and beans at RU.
Ice cream cones.

Waking up in the middle of the night, hearing the rain patter against the roof, 
and knowing that, even if for just a few hours, the heat is being washed away.

Having GMoney set up a Skype conversation with some of your favorite people.
Hearing that The Girls are, indeed, learning at school.

Catching a breeze while waiting on a bus.
Getting on the correct bus.
Getting to the top of the stairs just as the train is pulling up.

Fresh, dry, laundry off the line.
Coming home to find the boys stayed up late because 
they wanted to play a game with me.
Pictures of Kamryn.

The cold or hot shower at the end of a hot day.
Talking about mother-in-laws with my host parents.
Planning a seven year old boy’s upcoming birthday party.

The jokes within my team.
(Knife, knife, knife!)
(FALLA INGLÊS?!?!)
(Urubu.)

Getting off the train, the smell of brownies and 
knowing that I am almost home.
Being able to say I’ve been to a football game in one of 
the most legendary football countries of the world.
Inevitable awkward moments.

Finding new blogs to read.
An electric bug repellent.
Reading new genres of books.

Then there are the things that normally wouldn’t sound exciting.

Asking for help.
Differences of opinions.
Answering the tough questions.

Having areas that need some extra attention pointed out.
Seeing the flaws in my native culture.
Working through my struggles and doubts with other people.

Over the last five-ish weeks, I’ve noticed random things being exciting. I’ve noticed normal things being exciting (I mean, we all know I loved dessert in the States.). I’ve noticed that I’m excited about the change that’s taking place in my life and around me. Things I couldn't even imagine
 before now are exciting to me.

Did I do that in the States? 
Did I notice when the sun was shining just right through the clouds? 
Did I notice the actions of grace and love around me? 
Did I notice little exciting things?

Or did I just focus on the negative things? 
Did I brush over the exciting things to dwell on the negative things? 
Did I force others to also dwell on negative things?

Oh how it is my prayer that I will continue to find things exciting. I hope that I can turn negative events into exciting things. I pray that, as time goes on, the little things will not just become routine. I pray my eyes stay open to little things. God, thank You for being found in the excitement. 
Thank You for making Yourself known and pouring out blessings.

Can you tell I’m excited?

Taylor Lea

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
Habakkuk 3:18

1 comment:

  1. I just love you sweet girl! God is doing amazing things in your beautiful life! Keep writing, reading His Word, praying, and discipling. He is using YOU!! Much much love, Jill

    ReplyDelete