blue

Sunday, April 13, 2014

80 Days

When I was in grade school, we celebrated the 100th Day of School like it was a national holiday. We had to bring in 100 items from our house. Many of my classmates got creative with this task, while I usually counted out 100 Cheerios on the way to school. My favorite part of the day was when we made our goodie bags with 100 pieces of different snacks. Forget any other goodie bag you’ve ever had; hands down, these were the best. There’s no reason as to why; fact was fact. We carried our Ziploc bags around all day, 
trying to make the goodies last.

When I got to high school, the 100th Day of School marked 80 more days left of the year. This is when things kicked into high gear. We didn’t get to celebrate with goodie bags and Show & Tell. Instead, the teachers (ever so kindly) told us how far behind we were, how our grades were suffering, what we still had to learn before the looming AP or IB exams, 
when our next exams would be.

The 100th Day of School in high school was a stress inducer.

I’m a top notch procrastinator, and the 100th Day of School was just an unkind reminder of all the things I’d put off but needed to get done and done well. Soon. I started doubting myself and my efforts up to that point in the year.

Today marks 80 more days in Brasil.

The past two weeks, I’ve really been struggling with what I’ve done up till now, and what I need to be doing during my remaining days. I was disappointed in myself. I wasn’t happy or pleased with what I was seeing as the result of my actions. I wasn’t doing bad or wrong things; I just wasn’t doing my best. I was doubting myself and my ability to really 
serve here in São Leopoldo.

I was starting to get mopey and stressed like on the 100th Day of (high) School. I forgot to look at how far I’ve come. I forgot that I should be celebrating the small victories experienced everyday. I lost sight of the vision.

Good news: I lost sight only for a moment.

I choose today to celebrate like we did in grade school. Instead of making a fabulous goodie bag, I’m going to eat some fabulous chocolate Chris brought back from his week in Europe. Instead of showing and telling about my bad of Cheerios, I’m going to post pictures. There could easily be 100 of those. Instead of stressing about AP and IB exams, I’m going to relish in all the things I’ve learned so far.

Don’t get me wrong, even in grade school, the 100th Day of School was a bit nerve racking. However, those grand Morgan County teachers, our pseudo moms and dads, made the day fun. They never lost sight of the 
upcoming CRCT or reading levels that needed a boost. 
Just shifted them to the side to make room for a celebration.

Today is a beautiful, windy day in São Leopoldo. I can hear my Brasilian brothers playing outside my window. I just enjoyed a churrasco for lunch. I have clean clothes drying as I type. I am about to watch the 
greatest football team play.

Today, I have 80 more days left. I’m not counting down. And I’m not going to stress. I know the importance of these last 80 days, and I pray with all my might my efforts and actions are my best.

Lord, thank You for those goodie bags. Thank You for the rustle of the leaves because of the breeze. Thank You for loving me enough to tell me “Get your act together, Taylor. There’s work to be done.” I pray you hold my team close to Your heart; I pray we take each breath totally in sync with You. I pray You’re with our supervisors, our host homes and our friends. I pray they can see the reflection of YOU in US. God, I pray to 
love You with my whole heart.

Happy “Non-100th-Day-of-School!” Vivo Inter!

Taylor Lea

For I know that the Lord is great, and that our Lord is above all gods. … He it is who makes the clouds rise at the end of the earth, who makes lightnings for the rain and brings forth the wind from His storehouses.
Psalm 135:5,7

I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources He will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow 
down into God’s love and keep you strong.
Ephesians 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment