blue

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Just today...

I am in Lima, Peru!

As I sit here reflecting on the last 30 hours, I am blown away at how God has provided thus far.

My team is awesome.

We all (I knew Stewart and Daniel from Georgia Southern) met up in Miami, and we just instantly clicked. Conversations were immediately interesting and not awkward at all. I played a little “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” and asked “Oh do you know so and so?” “OH! I have family that lives like 45 minutes away from there!” We laughed and talked a little about our worries. Then we laughed about those.

The flight from Miami to Lima wasn’t too bad.

It was a smooth flight. I was asleep (like head thrown back, mouth open, drooling asleep) before we even took off. I woke up for a hot meal (chicken and rice) and was able to sleep off and on the rest of the way. Customs and baggage claim was a breeze.

We’re staying in a beautiful home for the next week.

It’s this gorgeous blue house with hot water and cool fans. The stairs, washer and dryer are all outside. The windows stay open all the time. It’s so neat to me and SO different than anything in the States. 

The other Hands On students are awesome. 

After our three-hour rest, we met the rest of the teams we’d be training with. Just as with my Sao Leopoldo team, friendships were made instantly. After a little more “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” (Can you tell this is one of my favorite games?) I found that I actually had connections with these people I just met. In a different country at that!

I managed not to get hit by a car.

I fully believe there are no traffic laws here. Since I landed at 6 in the morning, I have yet to see a speed limit sign. The drivers here have to be a little nuts. They just do what they want, when they want. And that’s how everyone drives. The pedestrians have to feel a little bullet proof as they walk across the street. (I did NOT! I was scared to death.) During the bus ride over to the mission house, I saw a man just mosey on in front of a huge, moving bus. Bless him!

Training was refreshing.

We “storied” Jesus calling His disciples. Conversed over an amazing lunch. Heard a great story about diarrhea. (Apparently that’s the missionary’s favorite topic.) Broke down the Lord’s Prayer. Prayed over our trips. Talked about security and health.

It was a good day.

The Lord has definitely blessed me. I am so excited to get to know these people. I am excited to see how God called each of them to their field. I hope I’ll get to use my many years of Spanish with the nationals.

I pray that as a whole, we will rest well when we can. I pray that our minds will be alert as we go through training. I pray that we will build uplifting relationships. I pray for the families and friends we left. I pray for good health. I pray that no one is hit by a car or bike. And finally I pray that we will bring glory to the Father’s Name.

“Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, 
I will be exalted in the earth!”
Psalm 46:10



(I apologize for grammatical errors. My eyes are halfway closed, and my brain is fried.)

3 comments:

  1. We are really proud of you. Love Granny Dot And Gpa Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your blog and I'm missing you!! So proud of you for allowing God to use you! Can't wait for your next post!!! Love you so stinkin much!! Love, Kristy (and Griffin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in prayer for you every day. Thank you for taking the time to keep your cheerleaders up to date on your journey. You are an amazing young woman & we can't wait to hear more of how God is using you! You can do ALL things through CHRIST who strengthens you!
    Sending you love & hugs!
    Joanne & Ed Nucci

    ReplyDelete